[Mingw-users] Problem On Compiling opencv with MinGW
Chao Yu
2006-04-19 15:52:56 UTC
Hi everyone:

My problem comes out when I am trying to compile opencv package(version:
b5a) with
MINGW(5.0.2). I think the problem is in mingw side, so post this message
here.
Any suggestion is appreciated.

1) simply open a cmd window make -f makefile.gcc
The make utility could not recognize '\' in windows.
It is expected to generate _temp/cxcore_Rls_gcc/nameofsource.o
but it gave ...._tempcxcore_Rls_gccblah.o and could not find
./nameofsource.c file.

I am aware of the \ and / problem between windows and linux, but
usually, make utility could deal with that.

Anyway, I managed this problem by replace \ into /. However,

2) After that, make utility could not execute any dos command like
"move", I had to change it into "mv" (BTW, I have installed cygwin and
msys). Also, it can not create the _temp directory, I have to create it
manually, but it was able to create cxcore_Rls_gcc directory.

3) when make utility try to move *.o, it give an error message,
*.o is not recognized. simple regular expression is not supported

I am really confused about this, hoping for your help.

I have complied and installed several packages like Qt/wxWidget/ with
mingw, they
went on well. Though Qt is automated by the installation program itself.

-Thanks.
Luke Dunstan
2006-04-20 12:56:02 UTC
MINGW(5.0.2). I think the problem is in mingw side, so post this message
here.
Any suggestion is appreciated.
1) simply open a cmd window make -f makefile.gcc
The make utility could not recognize '\' in windows.
It is expected to generate _temp/cxcore_Rls_gcc/nameofsource.o
but it gave ...._tempcxcore_Rls_gccblah.o and could not find
./nameofsource.c file.
It sounds like you are using MSYS make.exe with a makefile that was designed
for the native Win32 make (mingw32-make.exe). Using MSYS make with
the --win32 switch may also work.
Post by Chao Yu
I am aware of the \ and / problem between windows and linux, but
usually, make utility could deal with that.
Backslashes are escape characters for Unix-style makefiles so a single
version of make can't understand both ways. With MinGW it is recommended to
use forward slashes only, but other versions of make are provided if you
need to use Windows specific makefiles.
Post by Chao Yu
Anyway, I managed this problem by replace \ into /. However,
2) After that, make utility could not execute any dos command like
"move", I had to change it into "mv" (BTW, I have installed cygwin and
msys). Also, it can not create the _temp directory, I have to create it
manually, but it was able to create cxcore_Rls_gcc directory.
If the makefile commands are being executed by sh.exe then this is normal.
To use cmd.exe commands then you need to make sure sh.exe is not in your
PATH.
Luke
Chao Yu
2006-04-20 13:39:03 UTC
Thank you !
Yup, I moved sh.exe out of PATH, it went OK.
Later cvcap.o wasn't able to compile, I found some information about that.

Thanks again.
-Chao.